Thursday, July 14, 2011

I got new ears!

My ears are new.

Who knew?

My ears are hearing differently.

Very simple: last night when Jay Leno was making fun of Iran and then said, given the lack of laughter in response to the joke, "I guess there are a lot of Iranians here tonight," I heard something I hadn't noticed before.

His words hit me as all wrong. Offensive. Making fun of my friends.

My Iranian friends. And, while I'm at it, I hear Iran differently now too. The name. I notice when it is mispronounced, I -ran.

I'd like to respect my friends and say it right, Ir-ron. That's not so hard.

Lots of words on this blog lately about speaking out. Betty Ford, spunky ladies, brave courageous women and men speaking the truth. Words. Using one's voice. Speaking for others.

But listening ranks right up there. Higher, maybe. I want to use my ears too. To hear truth, to hear the stories of those we ignore. And to hear with ears that are sympathetic to the concerns, hopes, and ideas of others, especially, for example, Iranians. My ears pick up the static now. And the put-downs.

To be honest, it would be good, to my mind, if lots of people got new ears. I think they're available. For free.


And, as a tribute to the spectacular friendship I experienced today, from someone who had no need to care about me, but did, I offer these wise words of Emily Dickinson,

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain: If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain."-Emily Dickinson

Given in a card by the Betty Ford family to all those who made the pilgrimage to pay our respects to the church where she was in repose. (shared from my brother, Jim)


I am one cool robin back in the safety of the nest again.

Pass it on.

No comments: